Brief School History
Ngarchelong Elementary School started in 1947 in Yebong hamlet in Ngarchelong. At that time Ngarchelong did not have facilities for school so the classes were held in the community bai for grades 1 to 6 only. Mr. Imetengel was the first principal and some of the first teachers included Oikang Sebastian, Rechucher Tarimel and Towai Mochesar. Some of the first students included Risong, Dirrakerdeu, Yasue and others. The classes taught were Math, English and sports. Some of the sports played included athletics, tug, and dodge ball. The students brought their own lunch and stayed in school from 8:00 a.m. to about 3:00 p.m. in the afternoon. In 1953 the school moved to Bai ra Mengellang where it was centrally located and accommodated all the students in Ngarchelong and even some from Choll. In 1964, the Ngarchelong Elementary School was built at its present site.